Wednesday 4 November 2015

ScareCon



ScareCon website. Just if you want to know more about it or want to see the winner from the Scare Awards.


Anyway we did a trip to ScareCon, kind of as it wasn't an actual official ScareCon event. We went to Broaditch Farm Hauntfest. Broadditch Farm isn't only doing Halloween events you can go there all year around and have a look in the farm shop or check out their website for events. 
I was quite exited to go because first of  all I thought it was an actual official event (it wasn't) and I have never been to any kind of convention or theme park/adventure parks. So I thought it would be quite fun. I think it would be an understatement to say that we were slightly shocked when we arrived. Because it said ScareCon on our tickets I assumed it would be held in a massive hall or something but no we ended up on a muddy- very muddy- farm. Don't get me wrong I don't mind mud, my dad lives in a very small village so I am used to farm life and mud but it would have been nice if someone would have told as as we were all quite overdressed. And it was a bit awkward because we received those really weird looks from the staff there like they were saying look at those city girls in their dresses and heels and tons of makeup walking around on a very muddy and slippery farm. How stupid... Well nevermind. The funny thing was I felt like I was back home in Germany at my dad's place and we had one of those really boring village parties ^^. Also I don't quite understand why we had to be 7 hours early? It would have been enough to be like 2 hours early and then we could have done the talk, the tractor tour and looking around the mazes. Because it was just really boring to sit there for 7 hours and do like nothing. But at least we got free coffee and tea and the toilets weren't too bad either. Also the food was good as well. We also fled into the pub that is located at the main street ,because it was too cold outside. But let's end the complaining here -for now^^

It was really nice that they allowed us to go and see the mazes without actors first. There were 5 different themed mazes. Spooky Castle, The Edge, MassAcre, Biometrix and Thirteen. As I  usually get quite bored while watching horror movies and also don't mind being outside alone in the dark , I thought I would be able to handle the mazes quite well but oh was I wrong^^ I was really excited in the beginning as I never went to such a place but after going through the first maze which was Spooky Castle I wasn't so sure anymore. By the way going through the mazes without actors was totally fine and we kind of guessed where the actors would later appear and tried to be prepared but I certainly wasn't. The only maze which I also found quite terrifying was Thirteen because the floors were totally uneven and I figured that if we go in later with actors we would definitely trip at that part and just pile up on the floor. Also the mirror room was very irritating. You can't really see as the light keeps flashing really quickly and you can just see a split second of the movements so it feels like the person will be there within a blink. The only maze we weren't allowed to see without actors was Biometrix because they said it would ruin the effect without them but honestly with actors it was the most boring one! It was supposed to show some kind of zombie soldiers and they were actually allowed to touch you but yeah somehow it was the most boring one for me. Anyway back to Spooky Castle.When we entered we were only allowed go in in pairs of three and I had to lead. I don't know if it was because it was the first one and didn't really know what to expect but man my heart was racing like crazy and in the end I just dragged the other two out half running. But getting all this adrenaline is an awesome feeling :D Afterwards we went into the Edge which was filled with vampires and a naughty priest who waited until we passed to chase us. But this one was definitely less scary. Then we went into the MassAcre which was fine until we reached the end where a guy with chainsaw was waiting for us. So I know the chainsaw wasn't real or at least didn't had any blades in but I still felt very uneasy when he started coming at us with it and wouldn't let us pass. It was just for  second and even though as I said I knew it was not real but this one second I thought but what if ? and was kind of afraid. In the end we managed to run out like crazy and I usually don't do running but hell was I running fast :D We then had to wait for a bit to get enough courage to go into Thirteen^^ And I have to say it was a bit disappointing as it was less scary with actors.  I really don't know why but it was scarier without actors and I really thought that would be the worst but it was alright. But apart from the actors in the mazes there were also actors walking around with awesome makeup on. In the beginning they were quite intrigued because they would just come up to you and be really close( of course no one was allowed to touch you, same for the actors in the maze apart from Biometrix) and that was a bit scary. But after a few minutes I got used to them and just enjoyed it. I especially enjoyed the Joker Duo and the girl who was crawling on all four the entire time. She was on a leach which belonged to a Domina and her mouth was sewn up and she would come really close at you and sniff and just stare so intensely at you that it makes you so uncomfortable but in the end I thought she was quite cute. But here again I have to complain about something! Personally I think they should maybe hire some more professional actors. I can completely understand that it must be tiring to stay in character for hours and walk around the farm but that doesn't reason it when they start bullshitting about us students. I specially mean the Domina who was just standing like 2 meters away from us bullshitting and making fun of some of our students and that's not okay. They should have stayed professional until the end. 

Apart from that the talk with had in the beginning was also quite alright, I was interesting to hear about everyone's projects and what they plan for next year. 
After seeing the mazes at Boradwith Fafrm I really want to go to the actual ScareCon next year at Dreamland Margate. I think it will be super awesome. Also when they talked about going and testing different scare attraction I thought oh yeah I want to do that as well. That would be so much fun!

So here are some pictures I took. They are not the best as I took them with my phone and it was already dark.







I also made some short videos which I will try to upload as well.

But yes overall it did was a quite fun day but I think because it wasn't an actual ScareCon event the shouldn't have charged us that much for the tickets-.- 
But the again I am still very impressed with the makeup and use of prosthetics. They all just looked really cool and a bit scary at the beginning.It was also quite interesting to see how they worked backstaged and how tiny and cramped the space was, 

No comments:

Post a Comment