Tuesday 10 November 2015

Designing my hybrid


After deciding that the Vampire squid will be my other element I started thinking what key characteristics it has that I could use to mix with my human.

I did a drawing of the vampire squid with chalk just to get a better understanding myself  how it is build and what colours to use.





And I thought I could definitely build in the red skin into my design. But it hasn't got just one red tone so I will have to mix an play around with colours. I think it is important to actually try and do it first to see if the design is actually working the way I want it. I also decided to use a silicone piece to make the forehead bigger, rounder and outstanding.The vampire had a quite big, smooth and round forehead so I think that would be a nice effect. But that means I will have to measure my models head first to get the exact measurements otherwise the silicone piece won't fit later. I will also get bright blue contact lenses to make the blue eyes more outstanding. The vampire squid has really huge blue eyes and I want to recreate them. Also i think it is inevitable to do that because otherwise her eyes will look to small because of the massive forehead piece. And I still want her face to look balanced. As for the rest of the body I thought I could start painting it in red and then see what else I could do. As for the her I was thinking to do a marcel wave as it could portray the movements of the water-> waves. My model already has short curly hair so I think it shouldn't be too difficult to do it.



-> it is really hard to draw it because I don't know how to bring in the dimensions from the silicone pieces if it shows the front of the face^^ So now it looks more like an alien^^



I just did a drawing of what I think my hybrid could look like and I also decided to do silicone pieces for the cheeks which will enhance the cheek area. If I only do the forehead piece I think it would look too massive and unbalanced. I also was thinking to flatten the nose but I will have to see if I have enough time to do all of that. What I will also do is that the colour will get darker and more intense  going outwards the face.




Cheek pieces

-> I did two different sizes to see which one is working better




Forehead piece
I ask my model to measure her forehead and her measurements were 17x8cm ( she has a massive forehead!!^^)




It took quite long to do the forehead piece as you need to build up the height. But what else is there to do when you can't sleep at 2 am. Just do sculptures^^. To get the slight curve around the eye area I actually put some cling film on my face and applied heated up clay onto it to get kind of the shape I needed. Also I wanted to see how it would look like. I did look a bit weird but well we will see:) But otherwise I quite enjoyed doing the sculptures, It is something very relaxing to do still you have to focus.It's nice. But the thing that took me the longest was to create the walls with clay for the silicone. That's absolutely no fun.



I was just thinking a bit more about the clothes I want my hybrid to wear and because I want to show a lot of skin I will ask my model to wear a black bandeau top. I also need to see what I will do with the colour of her hair. As she keeps dyeing her hair in various colours at the moment I may need to cover them over with a coloured spray or supercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment