Monday 26 October 2015

Application Scar+ Turnout



In today's lesson we had to apply our scars and shoot our overall character as well as take close up's from just the application and when we finished painting them. And let me say that was a disaster!!
First off all a bit of critique on how the lessons are planned. I am really sorry but I don't think it is acceptable to do the "assessment" in the same lesson as the 'I show you how do apply and blend your moulds' lesson as this gives us no chance to practice our actual scar. Applying the scar is not really difficult but blending takes a lot of time and I think it would have been better to get to practice it first. So you can also see what you need to improve for your final scar. Also because it was our first time we all took a lot longer than the teacher probably expected us to do it. So most of the students were not able to swap with the partners and do their design. Everyone was a bit stressed out and we had to find another time to do it which is also annoying. Anyway I applied my scar and did the blending which took quite long but was otherwise unspectacular. Another thing was that I was worried that my partner would get uncomfortable because she had to sit in a certain position so I could work well on her knee. After apply the scar and blending in I thought hmm the scar looks somewhat weird and is way too big. But I started painting it anyway. But that's where I completely struggled. I was , somehow, not able to match the skin tones at all even though she has very pale skin and you would think it is very easy to match that tone. But no, absolutely no. It was also the very first time I used the flesh colour palette and I don't know somehow I don't like them. I feel like I can't get them to look right. Well at that point I was really annoyed and just stopped and decided to do it on another day. But it wasn't just because of the painting. Actually as soon as I realized that the size is not right I wanted to stop. Because I want to do a realistic scar and having the wrong sizing does not make it realistic. But I thought well let's try anyway. 

Even though today was a mess I still learned a lot from it. First of all I have to change the sculpture and make my scar smaller. I am still not good with dimensions and sizing when sculpting but at least I was able to see how it looks on the knee and know what I need to change. Also, I seriously have to sit down and start using the flesh colour palette and practice with it so that I will know which colours I have to use and which tools work best for it( sponge?, brushes?->which brush? fingers?).

I think I only took one picture of the application and didn't take any when I applied colour because it just looked horrible but now I wish I actually did because then I could use it and compare when doing more practice tests and I could compare it to my final shoot(the re-done one) to see how much I have improved.



So the one on the left side was the scar before application and left is after application. And you can definitely see that the scar is way too big. It's probably almost as long as the actual knee cap. Also I don't know the scar just looks not right to me. Something is off. And the two tube scars are too big as well.

So I will re-sculpt later and do an update about that .

No comments:

Post a Comment